Thursday, February 01, 2007

I Want to Go Home!

Whenever Keira gets upset, sad, or tired she whines, "I want to go home." It's so funny to hear her say that particularly when we are home. I think she came up with this because we are often out in the evenings around her bedtime, and when she starts to get grumpy, I ask her if she wants to go home.

Cayleigh said something the other day that made me cringe. The girls don't watch television very much, but we do occasionally let them watch a few cartoons on Saturday mornings. On one such morning Cayleigh said to me in a forlorn voice, "Mommy, we have to get one before they're all gone." The greediness of America is being instilled in my girls through the commercials on Saturday mornings! (I'm really not surprised, just saddened.) Cayleigh had seen a commercial for a Disney movie that is only available for purchase through a certain date. I couldn't believe how much impact this short commercial spot had had on her. She was genuinely upset that she might not be able to get her copy of the movie. Uggh!! I guess we'll try to stick to the DVD's that we have.

By the way, I am not a big fan of Disney, but I do really like their new show, Little Einsteins. The girls were given a DVD for Christmas from their uncle. It is a good show where they move a little, think a little, and enjoy learning about our world through art and music. I would much rather hear my girls humming classical music than singing the lyrics to some of the Disney princess songs.

3 comments:

The Mama of the House said...

You know,now that you mention it, Peanut says "I want you" when she's cranky and she'll even say it when she's in my lap or holding my hand. It's kind of funny. Now, I tease her and chase her around the house saying the same to her, and I tickle her until she yells, "You have me!" It's fun!

Karen Hamilton said...

I know just what you mean about the commercials; Rachel can often quote them word for word. She has learned, though, that you can't always trust what they say! We have always told her that we will not pay full price for a Disney DVD (we'll check out garage sales, rent from the video store or get it from the library).

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's Michelle! Welcome to the world of princesses...Lydia is on a kick now to go to Florida b/c that's where all the princesses live (note: they don't live just in Disney - the whole state of Florida is full of them! - what a royal place!) And, regarding the latest storms down there, she thinks we need to go down to help rebuild their castles. Where does this come from? I don't get this "girly stuff"!