Friday, December 22, 2006

Locked In?

Have you ever been locked in a room? I was locked in our tiny bathroom yesterday with my four year old, thanks to my four year old. I put our two year old down for a nap, and then I went to use the bathroom. My four year old followed me like a little puppy dog as usual, but she just happened to lock the bathroom door before shutting it. Usually, this wouldn't be a problem, but it just so happens the the doorknob is on backwards and we became locked in the bathroom. Not just any bathroom, but our bathroom which is barely big enough to turn around in. And we were both locked in! So, I first tried to unlock it with no success, because they were not any resources to work with except a piece of cardboard in the trash. I then thought maybe I could take the hinges off the door. Surprisingly, I was able to get the hinges out without any tools, but the door would not come out. I thought about calling to our two year old, but really, what could she do? I also thought about sitting there until my husband came home. No, this definitely was not an option. My last option of course was the window. Yes, there is actually a window in our tiny bathroom. You might think that this would be my first thought. Normally it would be, but there just happened to be four foot drifts right out the window. Oh well, at least I didn't have to jump down from the second story! I did have some trouble getting the screen out, but I ended up dredging through the snow almost losing my slippers in the process. It was very cold, and I did have some trouble opening the gate with the drifts piled high around it. I did make it around to the front of the house where I was very thankful that my husband had installed a remote garage door opener even though I had told him that we really didn't need one. I think I'll tell him that we really need a new doorknob for our bathroom!

1 comment:

The Mama of the House said...

WOW! I'm so sorry! What a day and what a dilemma...it's too bad husbands (or other capable adults) aren't around all of the time!